On April 19 2012, Madonna spoke about Dick Clark’s passing (April 18 2012):
“Even though I told him in 1984 that I wanted to rule the world, it’s Dick Clark who ruled the world. He loved what he did and his energy and enthusiasm were boundless. A great man. I bow to his memory and everything he did with his life.”
On April 2 2012, Madonna’s Sticky & Sweet Tour was broadcast on VH1 in the U.S. as part of the channel’s “Friday Night Alright” lineup.
On March 21 2012, a William Orbit interview by Larry Flick to promote the release of MDNA aired on Sirius radio.
Madonna was also interviewed by Flick, although her spot aired a few days earlier.
On March 13 2012, Interscope released a preview of Madonna’s Superstar from her forthcoming MDNA album.
Superstar was written and produced by Madonna, Hardy “Indigo” Muanza and Michael Malih.
During the recording session, Madonna asked her daughter Lourdes if she would sing on the song and agreed. Madonna had this to say about Lourdes’ voice:
She has a very good voice. She’s quite shy about it and won’t admit it. Lots of people are knocking on my door to meet her about everything, movies, what-not. But she’s not really interested in any of it. She just wants to go to school. She says to me, ‘Mum, I just want to be a normal kid. I’m not ready for any of that.’ I respect that, and if she ever wants to work with me on any level, I welcome it. But otherwise, I leave her to homework and school.
On December 3 2012, Superstar was issued as a special edition free CD for the Brazilian newspaper, Folha de S. Paulo.
On February 27 2012, the tickets for Madonna’s MDNA Tour stop in Abu Dhabi (June 3) went on sale and all 22,000 tickets for her first-ever United Arab Emirates show were sold-out immediately.
“The moment you’ve all been waiting for, here’s your chance to witness the concert of the decade as Madonna, the world’s top-selling female recording artist, makes her appearance on our shores,” announced the Flash Entertainment website, before replacing the picture on their site with a sold-out banner.
Mira Sadek from Flash entertainment said: “We are proud and delighted that the UAE will host Madonna’s first concert in the Gulf region. We were surprised with the speed at which the tickets were sold out, although we were expecting such a huge fan base.”
A second show at Yas Arena was added for June 4 and also sold-out immediately (tickets for the second show went on sale March 5).
On February 8 2012, Madonna’s management issued a press release recapping her triumphant performance at the Super Bowl and looking ahead to the release of her new album, MDNA:
It’s been a record-breaking week for Madonna. Along with 117.8 million viewers – the largest viewership for a halftime show in Super Bowl history – and three million more viewers than the game itself, the pre-orders for the Material Girl’s upcoming MDNA album ascended to the top spot on iTunes stores in 50 countries and was the largest one day pre-order of any album in iTunes history, it was confirmed today by her record label Interscope. Commented Madonna, “Thanks for all the L-U-V!! from around the world.”
A key part of the album release included a first of its kind worldwide promotion by Clear Channel, a leading global media and entertainment company, which premiered Madonna’s highly anticipated new single and video, Give Me All Your Luvin’, across its full range of media platforms, including radio, outdoor, online and mobile on Friday, February 3. As part of the campaign, Clear Channel used extensive on-air and online promotions to drive listeners and Madonna fans to iTunes, where they could buy the new single and pre-order MDNA, scheduled to be released globally March 26.
Below are some of the astounding numbers that add up for Madonna this past week.
MADONNA BY THE NUMBERS:
- 50 Number 1’s – Pre-orders for Madonna’s MDNA album on iTunes (biggest one day pre-order in iTunes (biggest one-day pre-order in iTunes history) hit the top spot at iTunes store in 50 countries!
- 11,000,000 – YouTube downloads of new Madonna video… and counting. The most searched subject on YouTube and Google during the Super Bowl
- 13 – Madonna’s new single catapults to the #13 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 Chart
- 56 – Give Me All Your Luvin’ marks Madonna’s 56th appearance on the Hot 100 according to Billboard’s Keith Caulfield
- 117.8 Million – Peak audience viewership during Madonna’s halftime performance – largest in Super Bowl history – up 4.7 million from last year – surpasses Michael Jackson’s 1993 halftime performance – and exceeds by 3 million the number of people viewing the 2012 Giants/Patriots game.
- 47.1 Million – Households saw Madonna’s Super Bowl Performance
- #6 – Trending at No. 6 on European Airplay Charts
- #2 – iTunes Single, jumped from previous spot 11 after the Super Bowl
- 2500 – Spins in less than 48 hours at Top 40 radio
- 25 – Give Me All Your Luvin’ single’s chart debut
- 51 – Global Tour Dates Announced by Live Nation
- 1600 – Clear Channel Digital Billboards Around the Globe aired Madonna’s Give Me All Your Luvin’
On February 2 2012, Madonna’s Give Me All Your Luvin’ music video had its world premiere during an episode of American Idol.