Tag Archives: Awards
Today In Madonna History: March 17, 1999
Today in Madonna History: March 11, 1986
Today in Madonna History: December 31, 1999
Today in Madonna History: December 21, 1985
On December 21 1985, Madonna was awarded seven Billboard Music Awards, reflecting her significant impact on the Billboard charts in the preceding year:
- Top Pop Artist
- Top Pop Album Artist – Female
- Top Pop Singles Artist
- Top Pop Singles Artist – Female
- Top Dance Club Play Artist
- Top Dance Sales Artist
- Top Music Video (Madonna – The Videos)
Today in Madonna History: November 23, 1989
Today in Madonna History: September 5, 1986
On September 5 1986, Madonna was honoured with the Video Vanguard Award for her visionary videos at the 3rd annual MTV Video Music Awards at the Palladium in New York City.
Madonna found immense popularity by pushing the boundaries of lyrical content in mainstream popular music and imagery in her music videos, which became a fixture on MTV. Her videos depicted controversial subjects such as teen pregnancy, racism, religion, sex and violence. She received the Video Vanguard Award for her contributions to the world of music video.
While there’s no denying Madonna was an early innovator in the art of music video, little did MTV – or those of us watching – know at the time that her most artistically groundbreaking work in the medium was yet to come.
Two things we did know at the time, however:
- Madonna’s insistence on sending Nikki Finn to collect awards on her behalf during this period was cute and everything, but mostly it just seemed…well…reductive.
- Madonna really liked that dress. But was it a dress?