On January 31 2001, Madonna’s Manager (at the time) Caresse Henry shut down the rumours that Madonna and Britney Spears would be collaborating (due to scheduling conflicts).
The two later worked together on Me Against the Music, the lead single from Britney’s In The Zone album, released November 12 2003.
On May 2 2015, Madonna participated in an Ask Me Anything interactive chat with Saturday Night Online – live with Romeo.
During the chat we learned the following:
- Madonna’s mantra is “Live each day like it’s your last.”
- She wanted to release Falling Free from MDNA, but didn’t because “it’s not conventional enough.”
- She most enjoyed filming the music videos for Justify My Love, Open Your Heart, Material Girl and Like A Virgin.
- Madonna enjoys rosé wine.
- She would love to release an album (or maybe more than one) of unreleased material. She said that it would be a “long ass album.”
- She likes the idea of recording with Britney Spears again.
- She thinks Drake kisses like a girl, “Don’t kiss Drake, no matter how many times he begs you to.”
- Her party playlists include: Kaytranada, Grimes, James Blake, Harry Belafonte, Duke Ellington, Major Lazer, Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix.
On December 27 2003, Madonna’s Nothing Fails/Nobody Knows Me single hit #1 and her collaboration with Britney Spears, Me Against The Music hit #2 on Hot Dance Singles Sales chart in US: it was the first time an artist had occupied the top 2 positions on the Singles Sales chart since Puff Daddy in 1997.
On November 29 2003, Britney Spears’ Me Against The Music (featuring Madonna) peaked at #35 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the USA.
Me Against The Music was recorded by Britney Spears and Madonna for Spears’ fourth studio album, In The Zone. It was written by Spears, Madonna, Christopher “Tricky” Stewart, Thabiso Nikhereanye, Penelope Magnet, Terius Nash and Gary O’Brien.
I always forget this song. Even when it came out I listened to it a few times and then the CD single started to collect dust. When was the last time you listened to Me Against The Music? Do you consider it to be a “hit” for Madonna – or do you pretend it never happened like me? – Jay